The first settlements of Nordeste area occurred in the second half of the 15 th century, during the Portuguese era of discovery. After much labour and land clearing the settlers were able to plant wheat, pastel and fruits.
Various churches were built during the 16 th century that were later joined by temples
constructed in later time periods.
Due to the great difficulty of communication to the exterior and the poor roads, the
Nordeste area was considered the “East Africa of São Miguel”. Until the end of the 19 th
century, boats were the favoured means of communication, sea conditions permitting.
Nordeste had opportunity to participate in Portuguese history during the 19 th century,
when liberal troops landed at Achadinha to fight the battle of Ladeira da Velha (1831),
and when Ernesto Rodolfo Hintze Ribeiro, a North-easterner, was elected prime
In 1888, two newspapers were founded, but unfortunately they are now extinct.
Praça da República S/N
9630 - 141 Nordeste